A guide primarily for Catholics who want to create a plan for following in the footsteps of Jesus Christ.
Prayer for Planning
Dear LORD help us with your divine providence and the guidance of the HOLY SPIRIT to understand our mission in life and how we can better follow in the footsteps of your beloved son JESUS CHRIST
(Name of Family)’s Catholic Plan
The Long-Range Plan and Mission-
Chicago Cardinal George’s 2010 message introducing the Archdiocese’s Strategic Planning effort essentially builds on Jesus’s profound admonition to “follow in his footsteps”.
Applying this to our family plan it reads just slightly different.
We (name of family) have but one mission, one purpose and one plan entrusted to us by the Lord Jesus. We are to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ to the whole world (Evangelism), to celebrate the Sacraments that make his saving mysteries available to all people until he comes again in glory (Prayer), and to serve the needs of an ailing humanity in a spirit of mercy and compassion (Helping Others). That is our perennial mission, to live our lives following the example set by the life of Jesus Christ.
To achieve this mission we would have to continuously attempt to model the life of Jesus Christ.
Objectives, Strategies and action plans-
- Periodically, but at least once a year, one of us will write a letter to the editor of my local newspaper or a magazine about an issue that involves the teachings of the Church.
- We will invite friends to attend church services or an extracurricular activity with us at least once a year.
- Whenever one of us are in a group that is discussing something that the Church has spoken on we will tactfully speak in support of the Church’s position.
- One of us will volunteer to be a Deacon or at least a lector.
- We will strive to set as good a Catholic example as possible for all of our friends and relatives.
- We will try to invite another non-Catholic family to either church services or maybe a meal with our family at least once each year.
- We will volunteer to help on one of the many ministries in the parish.
- We will attend weekend mass every weekend as a family.
- Whenever possible we will attend daily mass, especially Holy Days of Obligation, and during Lent as a family.
- We will say the Rosary or other prayer every day as a family.
- As many of us as possible, will volunteer to serve as an usher, lector, sing in the choir, etc.
- We will say a prayer each morning and each night either individually or as a family.
- Whenever possible we will attend all special worship services like Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.
- We will light a votive candle once a month.
- One or more of us will sign up for the parish’s resource pool to help others and devote as much time, talent and fortune to this effort as my other responsibilities permit.
- We will be a “Good Samaritan” open doors, lend a hand, etc. to others obviously in need of help.
- Occasionally and to the extent we can afford it we will help
someone in need pay for their bill at a restaurant or drive thru.